Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The End Of The World

The Mayans predicted the end of the world on December 21, 2012 but few seem to be taking this latest apocalypse all that seriously.  A great many skeptics have pointed out that the Mayan's can not be taken seriously since they couldn't even predict the collapse of their own empire.  Consider, however, that they, in fact, did just that.

Suppose, back in the day of the Maya, there happened a fellow whose job it was to make the calendar.  It was his life's work.  In fact, he never did anything else.  He toiled away day after day, year after year, chiseling away on a stone tablet that would forever mark the days and nights.  He knew nothing else, never socialized and was really out of the loop on events of the day.

One day, he was in his workshop, surrounded by stone chippings and discarded calendars he'd messed up.  In walks an acquaintance with his head hung low.

"What's the matter Jose?" asks the calendar maker.

"You mean you haven't heard the news?" asks Jose.

"No I haven't heard the news.  When would I hear the news?  I'm in this workshop day after day.  I never meet anyone, so I never go out.  No one ever visits me and I don't have any friends.  I've spent my whole life working on this calendar and I'm almost up to 2013.  So just when do you expect I might have heard the news?"

"Sorry pal, but you might as well stop.  Word just came down our civilization is going to end.  We probably won't make it past 1300."

"You're kidding me.  That sucks."

"Yep.  Wanna get some tequila?"

And that was likely that.  So give the Maya some credit when the world doesn't end.  They did have their priorities straight.

4 comments:

Jenna Cooper said...

I've heard that with leap years, Mayan's 2012 would have been in 2005. Yup. At least everyone looks at it as a joke now.

randi lee said...

Very interesting take on the whole calendar thing!

jkraus8464 said...


End of the world! Pshaw. We should be so lucky.

Steven J. Wangsness said...

Tequila has been responsible for a lot of things, so your story is certainly plausible.