Monday, August 16, 2010

Ghosts In The Graveyard, And A Dolphin Encounter

No, I haven't lost so much weight as to wither away and die, although I did commune with the dead over the weekend.  On a whim, I and the madam headed north for a few days in Savannah, Georgia.  Never did I expect someplace hotter than South Florida, but my sweat stains the squares, dripping with Spanish Moss, as though the trees themselves were melting under the summer sun.

Savannah is such a beautiful place, if you go there once, you'll be there twice.  Being Friday the thirteenth, it was only appropriate we took a ghost tour through America's most haunted city, and it has inspired a new character and short story, which, knowing me as I do, will likely turn into a long story. 

Then, we headed out to Tybee Island, where we had a lovely, if hot, day at the beach.  Being some 400 miles north, I assumed the water would be somewhat cooler.  I was somewhat wrong.  No matter.  The waters off Tybee Island are home to frolicking dolphins, who frolicked right up to us.  I could tell something was up when the water just in front of me erupted with fish, frantic to escape something.  Then came the dorsal fins, and those smiling snouts, scooping up lunch only inches away.  Okay, maybe feet, but only a few of them.  Everyone on the beach waded out to see, for which I was grateful.  There's something unnerving about being the only biped within striking distance of these close to 500 pound animals.  At one point, one of them floated on his back, just out of my reach, just below the surface, teasing its prey, before snatching it with a flick of the head.  All in all, good fun for everyone.  Unless you happened to be bait.  I only wish I swam with my camera.

I did, however, take some pictures at Colonial Park Cemetery.  You decide if I captured any ghosts.

Look closely.  There's an orb in the center of the picture, just below the top, over the left of the two gravestones in the distance.  A spirit?  That's what they say.










 Here, it seems to have moved off to the left of the tall gravestone, just above the slab on the ground.













They say you can catch a ghost anywhere, so I took a picture of a random window on a darkened street.  Is that a spectre?  Or a spruce?











So, how was your weekend?

4 comments:

jkraus8464 said...

Glad you had an interesting trip. Reminds me of St. Augustine and all the stories they tell on the graveyard tour at midnight. Very interesting stuff. It is hot everywhere.
It is about time you posted. Been waiting.....

MC Howe said...

St. Augustine is like that, only on a much smaller scale. I suggest you go. It's the kind of creepy George should be part of.

erica m. chapman said...

Sounds like a cool trip. Those pics are crazy. I totally see the orb and it moves. Strange. I'm so into being freaked out. I have no idea why, but it intruiges me ;o)

said...

)))((((((
(*)...(*)
....U....
..[___]..---{Looks like fun}