Tuesday, September 29, 2009

When Do You Write?

It's been said by writers that writing is a full time job. I imagine that's true for people whose full time job is writing. But what about the rest of us? After working 8, 9 or 10 hours, a little family time, showers and meals, not to mention sleep, when do those of us trying to make it as writers actually have time for our craft?

I ask not to complain, because I certainly don't fit the above description. I'm fortunate to have a job which actually pays me to sit at home, sometimes for days, or weeks, with nothing but time to write. Many published authors state that they write for 8 hours, every day. They go to their writing room just like others go to work, and stay there until the end of their day.

I can't do that. I've tried. Sometimes I'm successful, but other times I find if I'm not in the mood to write, or the story's not flowing through my veins, I won't get much accomplished. The most I ever got done was during three months early this year when I was based in another city for work. I had to be there, just in case, so I rented a house with 8 other people. Fortunately the library was a short walk and always empty. I spend all day, every day that I could, and accomplished more in three months than in my previous three years of writing. Since I've been home, not so much.

So I ask, when do you write? Early morning? Late at night? In a park? In a room without a view?

I do my best work in the afternoon. How about you?

3 comments:

Dolly said...

I work full-time in an office job, so I write in evenings and weekends. Not always disciplined mind you, but that's when I can write.

erica m. chapman said...

I also work full time in an office, so I write the same as Lost Wanderer, nights and weekends. Most nights are late, I get about 5 hours of sleep a night.

I catch up on the weekends. It just seems to flow better at night for me. It's nice that the library is so nearby :)

Anonymous said...

There was a mistake